Friday, December 9, 2011

A little predicament

A couple of months ago, Nathan and I bought some land. 0.29 acres of land. I keep saying, "We bought land" but I'm finding that it's confusing to a lot of people.

Usually, conversations go like this:

Friend: So, how's life? Anything new happening?
Me: Oh, yes, actually. We bought some land!
Friend: That's awesome. I love land! Neighborhoods are the worst. Land is way better. Only the best people buy land.
Me: The land is in a neighborhood. The land is 0.29 acres.
Friend: I'm a huge loser.
Me: Yes, you are.

And then I crack a joke to try to convince my friend that my feelings aren't hurt.

So, I need to come up with a better way to tell people we bought land that's in a neighborhood so people will stop putting their feet in their mouth and feeling terrible about it. I promise I don't care that they hate neighborhoods. I love land, too. And I love neighborhoods. Nathan and I both grew up in "landorhoods"....neighborhoods with tons of land. We are definitely advocates for both. Don't try to pigeonhole us. No sirree.

This is the weirdest blog post I've ever written.

I've been trying to think of what to name our land in a neighborhood.

I don't like "We bought a lot." Because then people would say "A lot of what?"
Heather suggested "a plot" but I think that sounds like "we bought a space to get buried in."
I thought of "We bought some agriculture."
Then I thought of "We bought some horticulture." But then I remembered I'm not exactly sure what "horticulture" means.
I thought of "foliage", "a plain", and "a space filled with living things".

Then Heather suggested "A lot in a neighborhood". But I vetoed that because after all my ideas, that just sounded really boring. So, now I'm convinced it's got to be all catchy and creative and fun. But not have a ton of alliteration. Don't even get me started on over-using alliteration.

As you can see, this is a very serious post. Stop wrapping your gifts and help a girl out. Name our land in a neighborhood!

Heather Ridings Couch, I can't stop laughing.







1 comment:

  1. "You bought some.....Earth."

    or...and, I like this one...

    "Hey, we bought our very own Tara."

    ReplyDelete